Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Today's Column: When Telling the Truth Hurts

I really hate giving bad reviews to things—especially when I’m so sure I’m going to love it. But I wouldn’t be a very good columnist if I didn’t tell the truth, whether good or bad.

If you’ve read my “Stay Tuned” column in today’s “Herald-Dispatch” you know that I didn’t like “All-Star Superman,” the newest DC Universe original animated movie. It made me so sad to admit that I actually thought of writing the column about something else just so I wouldn’t have to tell you.

But late Tuesday night, my column made me even sadder as I learned that the writer of “All-Star Superman,” Dwayne McDuffie, had unexpectedly passed away Monday. I actually became physically ill when I thought about how I had trashed a man’s final work.

Now I know that when I wrote my column late Monday night that I had no idea that McDuffie had died since it had not been reported yet. And again, I was just telling the truth, but still…

I would like to say for the record that even though I didn’t like “All-Star Superman,” I still respected McDuffie and his work. And my thoughts are absolutely with his family and his colleagues…