Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Monday, May 24, 2010

My Thoughts on the "24" Finale: I Need More Tissues

I started the evening fighting ants (Don’t ask.) and I ended it fighting tears…

I haven’t cried that much at a TV show in a long time, maybe not ever. And though the last scene of “24” was definitely emotional, I think I was crying more at the thought that it was all coming to an end…

Warning: If you have not yet seen the finale of “24,” stop reading now…

The finale got off to an auspicious start as President Taylor went one step too far in preserving the peace. I was willing to buy her going along with Logan because I believed she desperately believed in peace and she wanted to preserve her legacy. But when she threatened Dalia Hassan with a nuclear strike against her country, that was just too much. I had to put down the Kool-Aid.

But no worries, I quickly picked it back up again…

There were so many good moments throughout the two hours that I found a way to go along with it. Necar Zadegan was brilliant as the betrayed Dalia Hassan. Cherry Jones sold the story well, although I’m not sure she personally liked it. And Gregory Itzin was his usual brilliant self as the ultra-slimy Logan. I just know he won’t get the Emmy love he deserves.

When President Taylor put the cap back on the pen and didn’t sign the treaty? I actually yelled, “Woo Hoo!” I was so happy. If she had signed the treaty, there would have been no redemption to her character. And Frank John Hughes finally got something to do as trusted Presidential adviser Tim Woods was forced to deal with a near hysterical president.

And although it was sad to see the greatest villain in “24” history end his run (Interesting how they kept him alive), Logan acted exactly how you would expect him to. Like a coward, unable to face the consequences. I’m just sorry he felt like he had to take Jason (the incredibly appealing Reed Diamond) with him.

But the finale was really all about Jack and Chloe. As it should be. The moment between the two of them as Chloe struggled to shoot Jack was completely amazing. Mary Lynn Rajskub said that Kiefer Sutherland helped her get over the hump for those scenes and it showed as the chemistry between them was incredible and she showed some real acting chops.

And that ending. WOW!

I actually started crying during President Taylor’s phone call to Jack, not because it was emotional—after all, we had kind of seen it before at the end of season four with Jack and President Palmer—but because I knew it was all coming to an end.

And what an end it was. As Jack told Chloe how much she meant to him I was crying as hard as she was. And then when he looked into the camera and told her thanks, I was a goner.

The final moment of Jack looking into the camera as Chloe told Arlo to shut it down was beautiful. Add to that the amazing score of Sean Callery (who totally rocked the entire finale), and it was a perfect ending.

Was the finale as a whole perfect? Not by any means. But then the show was never perfect either. There were a lot of stories that didn’t make sense and a lot of reality we had to suspend along the way. But that was all part of its charm. Tonight, there was the Taylor story to get past. And the ending was a little too rushed. And I have no idea why Jack felt it necessary to bite Jason’s ear. But in the end, they brought it all home.

Just typing the words, in the end have got me tearing up again…

But I’m comforted by the thought that Jack Bauer lives to fight another day. As a fugitive in another country, but still out there nonetheless. And you know that’s all that matters…

What about you guys? What are your thoughts on the end of “24”?

Photo Credit: Kelsey McNeal/FOX