Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The End Is Near for "24"

“Variety” just reported the news that I have been expecting. The end is near for “24”…

The report says that FOX will announce the cancellation of “24” in the next day or two. And it may surprise you to hear, I’m actually happy.

Yes, it’s time for my beloved “24” to say goodbye…

No doubt you’ve noticed how quiet I have been about the show thus far this season. The truth is I just haven’t known what to say. I have always watched “24” with the lights out and no distractions—not even food. But this season I’ve had one eye on the TV and one eye on the computer, barely paying attention. I’m that bored.

Part of the problem has been the absence of Jack (although that’s been remedied somewhat in the last two hours). But the biggest problem is the new CTU. Mykelti Williamson is TERRIBLE as Brian Hastings, the new head of CTU. His slow speech sounds ridiculous in contrast to Kiefer Sutherland’s rapid—and appropriate speech. Hastings sounds like he’s the captain of a cruise ship rather than the leader of a government agency in the middle of a nuclear crisis.

And then there’s Dana Walsh. I love Katee Sackhoff, but this character is ridiculous. And the plot is even worse (although the appearance of Stephen Root may save it a little). Plus, what is up with Freddie Prinze Jr. as her fiancé, Cole? I mean, what is that accent of his supposed to be?

And we’re eleven episodes in and we have yet to see a classic “24” twist. We’ve only got one decent ending…

There have been some bright spots this season but they are just too far and few between. I think “24” has honestly just ran out of ideas. And when that happens to a show, it’s best to admit it and fade out gracefully rather than hang on and become a shell of its former self.

Plus, the show coming to an end means there’s a good chance a movie could actually happen…

The only bummer is that “24’ would end at a time when the end of “Lost” is getting all of the attention. And seeing as how there would be no “Lost” without “24,” it deserves some of that love too. But sadly, with a less than stellar season, it may not get it.

However, it will absolutely get it from me…

“24” airs Mondays at 9 p.m. on FOX…

Photo Credit: Brian Bowen Smith/FOX