Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Help for the Holidays #3: A Less Expensive Way to Sing It Out

Anyone who knows me knows I love to sing. But I’ve never wanted to invest the money and space into a full blown karaoke unit. Or even a Wii.

For anyone who feels the same way but whose child has been inspired by “American Idol” or by seeing their favorite singer on TV, there’s the TV Games Sing Scene, a new addition to the line of Plug It In and Play TV Games from JAKKS Pacific.

The game consists of a single microphone that plugs into your TV. You follow the words and notes on the screen. Staying on pitch and singing the correct words score you points. You can compete against your friends or just yourself.

But don’t let the simplicity of the game fool you. It is very precise. I thought I was hitting every note of Rihanna’s “Take a Bow” but apparently not. And I was shocked to get my best score on Taylor Swift’s “Love Story,” a song I don’t even like.

You also have the option to practice before you do a “live performance,” which is what I should have done before attempting Fall Out Boy’s “This Ain’t a Scene.” I couldn’t remember how it went and ended up failing twice.

The game also features songs from Alicia Keys, Chris Brown, Fergie and others. You can just sing for the fun of it or you can compete against your friends.

The game definitely doesn’t have a lot of elaborate bells and whistles, but it’s not meant to. It’s meant to be a more affordable way for kids to experience the latest singing game. And adults will enjoy it too.

TV Games Sing Scene (agest 8+, $29.99) is available now…

Photo Credit: JAKKS Pacific