Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Monday, August 17, 2009

Pick of the Week: A Favorite Returns With A Little More Seasoning

Generally, when one of my favorite shows premieres, it’s an obvious choice for my Pick.

But this week, two of my favorites are returning. So I should have been in for a tough decision. But then one of the premieres just blew me away…

My Pick of the Week is the premiere of “Top Chef: Las Vegas.”

This season’s cheftestants are the most experienced yet. The “cast” includes executive chefs, Michellin Star recipients and James Beard Award nominees—all impressive credentials in the culinary world.

But fortunately for us, the cheftestants also have personality…

There’s Mike, who sets himself up to be the season’s villain fairly quickly. There’s Ron, who made a dangerous journey to come to the US from Haiti. And then there’s Bryan and Michael, two brothers competing against each other as much as they are competing against the other cheftestants.

All the usual “Top Chef” tricks are there, but they’ve thrown in some extra ones inspired by Vegas. That means luck becomes a factor in addition to skill.

Plus, the first elimination challenge has Wolfgang Puck as a judge, and he doesn’t mince words. In fact, I’d say he’s one of the best judges I’ve seen on the show (Anthony Bourdain is still the best.).

“Top Chef: New York” could taste a little blah at times, but I don’t think we’ll have that problem in Vegas.

Let the flames begin…

“Top Chef: Las Vegas” premieres Wednesday, August 19th at 9 p.m., followed by the season finale of “Top Chef Masters” at 10:15 p.m. on Bravo…

Photo Credit: Justin Stephens/Bravo