Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Top Chef" The End Is Near

Although it will free up a space in my Wild Wednesdays, I am still dreading the season finale of my beloved “Top Chef.”

Why? Because it means the season is over. And the first Saturday I can’t turn over to Bravo and watch two or three episodes in a row I’m going to be really sad…

You guys know I love “American Idol,” but “Top Chef” is the best reality-competition show on TV. Many critics would tell you the show was off this year, but I totally disagree. The chefs did get off to a rough start in the beginning as their dishes were uninspired and the personalities unexceptional, but four or five episodes in the show hit its stride—no matter how many times new judge Toby Young tried to derail it (Is that guy supposed to be funny?).

Now, the final three face off for the title in New Orleans: Hosea, Stefan and Carla. Fabio, who I still think will be the fan favorite, got eliminated last week after failing to impress with his attempt at Creole cooking. But the big surprise of the episode was not Fabio’s elimination, it was the twist the show ripped out of the “Project Runway” playbook. The three most recently eliminated chefs—Jeff, Jamie and Leah—returned to compete in a Quickfire Challenge for a chance to re-enter the competition. It was a nice twist, but the biggest twist was who won the Quickfire.

Returning to the competition was none other than Jeff, the cheftestant who badmouthed the show and Tom. After the show, I did some investigating and I believe Jeff made his comments about the show after that episode was filmed.

Now granted, Jeff did not get to move on to the finale (He had to win the elimination challenge to stay.), but he did well and received numerous compliments from all of the judges, including Tom. So why would he badmouth the show after receiving a second chance? That just doesn’t make sense. I was sure that he lost the Quickfire and his anger over that is what drove his comments. I really hope Andy Cohen confronts him over what he said during the reunion show, because I really want to hear an answer.

So who am I rooting for to take it all? You guys know that I’ve been pulling for Stefan, but last week he was so over-the-top cocky that I just don’t know if I can keep backing him. I definitely can’t support Hosea because his constant need to best Stefan is annoying. That leaves Carla the underdog, who has toned down the annoying and has actually become somewhat endearing (She will be the only one to give Fabio a run for his money for Fan Favorite.). And since I love an underdog story, I think I will throw my support to her…

To get you geared up, Bravo is airing a mini marathon Sunday beginning at 8 a.m. You can catch a marathon of the entire season Wednesday beginning at 10 a.m.

The “Top Chef: NY” season finale airs Wednesday, February 25th at 10 p.m. on Bravo…

Photo Credit: Virginia Sherwood/Bravo