Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Friday, May 30, 2008

"Lost": Hmmmm...

So at the end of last night’s “Lost,” all I could say was “Hmmm.”

Not “Gasp!” or “Oh my gosh!” or “Wow!” Just “Hmmm.”

In fact, with about five minutes to go, I told myself that there had better be a whopper of a cliffhanger or I was going to be disappointed.

That’s right. I said it. Disappointed. And I’ve got a feeling I will be the only one who says that, but I can’t help it. It’s how I feel…

Warning: If you have not seen the season finale of “Lost,” stop reading now.

My disappointment started with the cruel way they dispatched Jin. Yes, I know, you could see it coming from a mile away, but it was just cruel. I’m all for making Sun a vengeance seeker (What’s up with her and Widmore?), but couldn’t they have killed him some other way? Jack choosing Kate over him was just wrong.

And whose idea were the explosives anyway? Keamey or Widmore? Just curious…

Then there was the whole Jeremy Bentham business. Yes, I understand that the show wanted to keep the suspense going as to who was in the coffin, but did anyone else feel it was a little ridiculous that everyone kept referring to Locke by this new name? It’s not like he changed his appearance or anything. I felt like Hurley when he asked Sayid, “Why do you keep calling him that?”

By the way, since Doc Jensen has yet to post his recap, I actually checked out Jeremy Bentham on Wikipedia myself. He was an “English jurist, philosopher, and legal and social reformer” best known for “his advocacy of utilitarianism.”

In “The Principles of Morals and Legislation,” he wrote, “Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do. On the one hand the standard of right and wrong, on the other the chain of causes and effects, are fastened to their throne. They govern us in all we do, in all we say, in all we think…”

Okay, I can see Locke in that. And I understand that Locke would have to change his name since everyone thought he was dead. But I don’t understand why people who spent all of that time with him would refer to him by another name—both first and last, mind you—other than to create suspense during a two-hour episode.

I did, however, like the way the show switched us back and forth between it being Ben and Locke. And I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I was glad it was Locke because I’m really starting to like Ben. Michael Emerson is absolutely fantastic in the role and totally deserves the Emmy that Terry O’Quinn (Locke) swiped from him last year. His droll delivery of his lines is often the best part of the show and definitely was last night.

But there was one other major highlight—the reunion of Desmond and Penny. I should have seen it coming, but for some reason I just didn’t. I hesitate to say it was a happy ending, because you know that just isn’t going to be the case since Ben has already threatened Penny’s life.

Which leads me to the questions left behind by the finale…

What happened to Faraday and the raft of Oceanic survivors when the island disappeared?

Why was Charlotte on the island before?

What happened to Claire?

What is the deal with Jack’s dad, Christian? Is he Jacob’s disciple or something? Or is he actually Jacob? And if he is, what does that even mean?

And the biggest question. Why do I feel so disappointed?

Maybe it’s because after hoping all this time that the survivors would get off the island, now I know they’ve got to go back. And for some reason, that just doesn’t work for me…

What did you think about the finale? Am I wrong to feel slightly cheated?...